What Your Year 6 Child Needs to Know
Fundamentals of a Good Year 6 Education (Core Knowledge UK)
Editor: E.D. Hirsch, Jr.
UK General Editors: Robert Whelan and Tanya Lubicz-Nawrocka
What Your Year 6 Child Needs to Know is the sixth in the series of six books—one for each year—for parents, home educators, teachers and children to enjoy. See below for a selection of the varied topics and activities it includes.
Language and Literature:
- Poetry, including: a wide range of old and new poems from The Tiger by William Blake and If by Rudyard Kipling to T.S Eliot and Road Dahl.
- Literature from Around the World, including: Don Quixote from Spain; The Samurai’s Daughter from Japan, as well as extracts from great classics of literature like Oliver Twist, The Secret Garden and Le Morte d’Arthur.
- Learning about Literature and Language, learn the basics building blocks of language and literature including figurative language, imagery, metaphor; parts of speech; how to use a comma and other punctuation and grammar.
- Familiar Sayings, including: ‘Chip on your shoulder’; ‘The grass is always greener’; ‘Out of the frying pan and into the fire’; ‘Take the bull by the horns’ and ‘A penny saved is a penny earned’.
History and Geography:
- World Geography, including: Map projections and time zones; American Geography.
- British Geography, including: Wales; Scotland; North West England and North East England.
- History, learn about British history from the Industrial Revolution to the death of Queen Victoria and about the American Civil War that abolished slavery in the USA.
- The Renaissance, Renaissance masters Raphael, Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo; Renaissance in Italy; perspective; The Harmony of the Body; shading
- Victorian Art, Augustus Welby Pugin’s Contrasts; Gothic Revival; William Morris; Gothic Architecture.
- Elements of Music, including: high and low notes; short and long notes; dotted and tied notes; time signatures and the treble clef.
- Listening and Understanding, including: polyphonic music, canons and rounds and lute music.
- Songs for Year 6, including: Swing low sweet chariot, Widecombe Fair, Food glorious food, Lean on me.
- Numbers and Number Sense, including: Working with billions; comparing numbers; long division; negative numbers; decimal multiplication; inverse operations.
- Fractions, including: equivalent fractions; adding fractions; decimals; multiplying decimals by decimals; subtracting fractions.
- Geometry, including: Plotting points on a grid to make shapes; angles, triangles, polygons, diagonals, area and volume.
- The Human Body, including: The Heart; The Blood Vessels; Our Blood and Why We Need It; The Lungs
- Chemistry, including: atoms; The Periodic Table; molecules and compounds.
- Classification of Living Things, including: classifying organisms; cells; parts of a cell; plant and animal cells.
- Plants, including: parts of a flower; photosynthesis.
- The Lives of Famous Scientists, including: Carl Linnaeus; Dorothy Hodgkin and Tim Berners Lee.