What Your Year 5 Child Needs to Know
Fundamentals of a Good Year 5 Education (Core Knowledge UK)
OUT OF STOCK
Editor: E.D. Hirsch, Jr.
UK General Editors: Robert Whelan and Tanya Lubicz-Nawrocka
What Your Year 5 Child Needs to Know is the fifth in the series of six books—one for each year—for parents, home educators, teachers and children to enjoy. See below for a selection of the varied topics and activities it includes.
Language and Literature:
- Poetry, including: ‘The Pobble Who Has No Toes’; ‘A Tragic Story’ and many more including ‘Sky in the Pie’ by Roger McGough and ‘The Lady of Shalott’ by Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
- Stories, Legends and Myths, including: ‘The Fire on the Mountain’ an Ethiopian folk tale; ‘Sir Gawain and the Green Knight’ adapted from a fourteenth century poem; ‘The Happy Prince’ adapted from the story by Oscar Wilde and an excerpt from ‘Gulliver’s Travels’ by Jonathan Swift.
- Learning about Literature and Language, including Active and Passive Voice , Parts of Speech, Writing and Research and much more.
- Familiar Sayings, including: ‘Live and let live’; ‘As the crow flies’; ‘Bury the hatchet’; ‘Breaking the ice’ and ‘Don’t put all your eggs in one basket’.
History and Geography:
- World Geography, including: Maps; Map Reading; Mountains around the World; Australia
- British Geography, including: the East of England; The Midlands and Yorkshire and the Humber
- British History, including: Why Great Britain was created; John Churchill:The First Duke of Malborough; How Parliamentary Government developed; The British Empire; Life in Georgian Britain
- The Language of Art: Style, including: A comparison of St Paul’s Cathedral and The Shard; Contrasting Rococo and Modernism; Abstract Art
- African Art, including: Dancing Antelopes; Portraits in Clay and Bronze; African Masks
- Prints: Pictures that go Further, including: Relief Prints; Engraving; Brass Rubbing; Etching; Colour; Lithography
- Elements of Music, including: Longer and Shorter Notes; Bar Times and Signatures; The Treble Clef; Sharps and Flats
- Listening and Understanding, including: A Tour of the Orchestra; Instruments of the Orchestra; Voices
- Songs for Year 5, including: ‘Loch Lomond’; ‘Skye Boat Song’; With a Little Help from My Friends; Waltzing Matilda
- Numbers and Number Sense, including: Working with millions; comparing numbers; standard form and expanded form; rounding;Negative numbers and Letters that stand for numbers
- Fractions, including: Improper Fractions; Mixed Numbers; Equivalent Fractions; Putting Fractions in the Lowest Terms; Comparing and Adding Fractions Hundreds and Thousands
- Measurement, including: Reading 24 hour Clocks; Measuring Length; Measuring Weight; Measuring Capacity
- Geometry, including: Polygons; Planes, Points and Segments; Angles; Nets of Solid Shapes
- The Human Body, including: The Heart; The Blood Vessels; Our Blood and Why We Need It; The Lungs
- Chemistry, including: Atoms; Measuring Mass; Solutions
- Geology, including: Layers of Planet Earth; Making Rocks; Earthquakes; Volcanoes; Hot Springs and Geysers; Erosion
- The Lives of Famous Scientists, including: Michael Faraday; Florence Nightingale; Elizabeth Garrett Anderson; Charles Darwin
OUT OF STOCK