What Your Year 2 Child Needs to Know
Fundamentals of a Good Year 2 Education (Core Knowledge UK)
Editor: E.D. Hirsch, Jr.
UK General Editor: Robert Whelan
UK Deputy Editor: Tanya Lubicz-Nawrocka
What Your Year 2 Child Needs to Know is the second in the series of six books—one for each year—for teachers, parents, home educators and children to enjoy. Read below to see a selection of the varied topics and activities it includes.
Language and Literature:
- Reading, Writing and Your Year 2 Child
- Familiar and Favourite Poems, including: A Good Play by Robert Louis Stevenson, Three Wise Men of Gotham, The Purple Cow by Gelett Burgess
- Stories, Tall Tales and Drama, including: Aesop’s Fable: The Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing, King of the Nogs, Issun Boshi, ‘The Boy Who Cried Wolf: A Play’
- Tongue Twisters, Riddle Rhymes and Familiar Sayings, including: ‘Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers’ and Rhymes, ‘Let the cat out of the bag’, ‘The more the merrier’, ‘If at first you don’t succeed…’
History and Geography:
- World History and Geography, including: Fantastic Pharaohs, A Journey Down the Nile, A Great Mesopotamian Story, What Different People Believe
- British and European Geography, including: The Countries of the British Isles, Scandinavian Geography, Great Explorers: Roald Amundsen
- British History, including: Romans in Britain, Roman Influences on Britain, Post-Roman Britain, Archaeology, The Vikings; Tall Tales, Alfred Burns the Cakes, Normans in Britain, The Domesday Book, May Day Celebrations
- People Have Been Making Art for a Very Long Time, including: Queen Nefertiti’s Eyes, Ancient Egyptian Art, Masterpieces in Metal, Treasure from the Sutton Hoo Ship Burial
- Colours, Shapes and Textures, including: Monet, Hockney, Dürer, Making Mini Picassos
- Looking Good: Portraits, including: The Queen’s Portrait, da Vinci, Rembrandt, Hogarth
- Murals: Paintings on Walls, including: Paula Rego and Chalk It Up!
- Making Music, including: Musical Instruments, The Orchestra and Great Composers
- What You Can Do With Music, including: Music Can Make You Move, Jazz, Improvising
- Favourite Songs, including: ‘The Grand Old Duke of York’, ‘La Cucaracha’, Michael Finnigan, There’s a Hole in my Bucket, Billy Boy
- Numbers, Number Sense and Money, including: Place Value, Using Graphs, Fractions, Coin Combinations, Counting Money, Notes
- Addition and Subtraction, including: Practising Addition, Practising Subtraction, Two-Digit Addition and Subtraction, Comparing Differences and Sums
- Multiplication and Division, including: What is Multiplication?, Practising Multiplication, Word Problems and Missing Factors, Division, Operations, Division Word Problems, Division and Fractions
- Living Things and Their Habitats, including: Woodland Habitat, Underground Habitat, Desert Habitat, Freshwater Habitat, Ocean Habitat, The Food Chain, Dinosaurs
- Oceans and Undersea Life, including: Tides, Ocean Currents, Under the Sea
- The Human Body, including: Skeletal System, Muscular System, Circulatory System, Digestive System, Nervous System
- Matter: Solid, Liquid, and Gas, including: Atoms and Changing States of Matter
- Units of Measurement, including: Units of Measurement, How Long?, How Much Space Does it Fill?
- Electricity: An Introduction to the Shocking Facts, including: How Electricity Works, What Conducts?
- Astronomy: Our Solar System, including: A Star and Nine Planets, The Moon, What Makes Day and Night?
- Down to Earth, including: The Earth Makes Different Kinds of Rocks, The Earth’s Important Minerals
- Stories About Scientists, including: Jenner, Pasteur, Edison, Franklin